2020-2021 Travel Baseball Overview
Travel Baseball Objectives:
- Offer a Competitive Baseball program that enables each Travel Baseball player to attain maximum skills development, while having lots of fun.
- Place players at the appropriate Travel team level determined by the player’s baseball skill and ability through independent evaluations along with prior Travel and Recreational League coaches’ input.
- Provide opportunities for capable and committed players to improve themselves through excellent coaching and very strong competition.
- Compete against teams from other municipalities in district play, area leagues and tournaments, as well as some out-of-region, high-profile tournaments (older age groups).
- Provide a positive learning experience to enhance a player's overall personal development.
Travel Baseball Committment
The travel baseball program is a competetive-level program which requires committment from both the player and the player's family. Teams will participate in holiday tournaments throughout the Spring and Summer seasoons, and depending on the league or tournaments the that the team participates in, may have multiple games in a weekend, or in one day. Participation in another Spring sport is not prohibited, but priority must be given to the Travel Baseball program.
Cal Ripken District Tournament
The Cal Ripken Baseball Tournament begins in late June and continues through July, with very successful teams continuing to play into August. For RBC, competition begins at the District level, where play is against local teams. District winners progress to State level tournaments with the NJ state champion having the potential to move on to the World Series. Ridge Baseball Club, by direction of the Board of Directors, will make every attempt to field at least one team in all available divisions of the District tournament. Ages are grouped by the following: 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 year old teams.
Managers and Coaches
Managers and coaches for Travel teams will be selected by the Travel committee and consideration will be given to coaching skills, experience and the ability to foster a positive team experience. In addition, managers and coaches must exhibit good sportsmanship and represent Ridge Baseball Club and the communities of Bernards Township in a highly civil and supportive manner when competing at home and in other area communities. Prior year's evaluations will factor into any future consideration.
District Team Player Eligibility
To be eligible for selection on a Travel team that will play in the Cal Ripken District Tournament, a candidate needs to meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Must live in Basking Ridge or attend school with the specific geographic area of town.
- Must have participated in at least 50% of the spring recreation league games.
- Must register for Travel baseball to be considered a candidate for selection through evaluations that will be held in October 2020
- Failure to attend the tryouts for Travel baseball will result in the player’s placement on the lowest level team provided enough players are available for the same team.
- Must commit to 100% attendance of games and practices through tournament conclusion.
There are no exceptions to these requirements.
Important Travel Baseball Requirements:
Frequent schedule changes are to be expected due to weather and changing dates in leagues and tournaments, so players and parents must plan to be flexible. Prompt and regular attendance is a must for all Travel players. Travel players must attend at least eighty percent (80%) of all travel games except players selected for the District team, which as described above, requires one-hundred percent (100%) attendance at games and practices through tournament conclusion. Parents must plan vacations, other sports and other events to avoid conflict with practices and games.
For additional questions, please contact